Answers to the following question list a number of Android apps that can be used to backup SMS messages:
- How do I backup and restore SMS Messages?
However, all of the applications mentioned in the answers seem to require lots of permissions that are not strictly necessary; examples include "receive SMS", "edit SMS or MMS", "full Internet access", "read contact data", "write contact data", "write contact data", "read phone state and identity", etc.
Is there any tool that
- simply copies all SMS messages to a local file on the SD card,
- does not require any irrelevant permissions xe2x80x93 as far as I can see, permissions "read SMS or MMS" and "modify/delete SD card contents" should be enough.
Edit: Based on the answers, I had a closer look at SMS Backup & Restore Pro. It is better than nothing xe2x80x93 at least it does not require any kind of Internet access. However:
- It cannot copy messages stored on the SIM card, only messages stored in the inbox.
- It does not work on Android 3.2 tablets.
- It still requires far too many permissions for my needs.
TxtArchive does not seem to work on Android 3.2, either.